Subscribe to Renata's weekly newsletter: Receive new episodes of the Job Hunting Podcast, as well as exclusive content for corporate professionals looking for work and planning their next career goals.
About our guest, Nick Birbilis:
Nick Birbilis is an Australian engineer and academic. He is a Professor and Deputy Dean of the College of Engineering and Computer Science at the Australian National University. Nick works in the field of materials science and engineering, having made contributions in the area of materials design, materials durability, and materials characterization. Nick was the inaugural Woodside Innovation Chair at Monash University, where he directed the Woodside Innovation Centre in the areas of additive manufacturing (i.e. 3-D printing), rapid prototyping, materials durability, data science, analytics, and machine learning.
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/profNickANU
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nick-birbilis-bb65a3a9/
- Nick’s Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Birbilis
- Nick’d TEDx Talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNEdvBoxumw
- 13:42 - Nick’s career
- 16:59 - Finding great talent
- 21:03 - Border closures and opportunities for remote work
- 31:54 - Virtual job interviews
- 34:47 - Hiring best practices
- 38:23 - Border closures and what it means for domestic talent
- 48:32 - Nick’s tip on how to interview well for sector change
- 53:52 - Sector change: moving from corporate to research institutions or startups
- 57:58 - Industry 4.0: what the future holds
Links mentioned in this episode:
- The Job Hunting Podcast Facebook group
- Subscribe to the Job Hunting Newsletter
- Other episodes of The Job Hunting podcast about technology, science, and the future of work:
- Episode XX: Emerging jobs and technologies - with Associate Professor Catherine Ball
- Episode XX: Data jobs: Interview with data & machine learning expert Catherine Lopes PhD
- Episode XX: The future of offices and teamwork - with workplace strategist Su Lim
- Episode XX: How to pivot your career during a crisis: Advice from "the new world of work" expert Marianne Roux
- Episode XX: A lesson in personal agility - with New World of Work expert Marianne Roux
Other ways to enjoy this podcast:
Are you new to The Job Hunting Podcast? If so, here is a bit about your host:
Hello, I’m Renata Bernarde, the Host of The Job Hunting Podcast. I’m also an executive coach, job hunting expert, and career strategist. I teach corporate, non-profit, and public professionals the steps and frameworks to help them find great jobs, change, and advance their careers with confidence and less stress.
If you are 1) an ambitious professional who is keen to develop a robust career plan, 2) looking to find your next job or promotion, or 3) you want to keep a finger on the pulse of the job market so that when you are ready, and an opportunity arises, you can hit the ground running – then this podcast is for you. In addition to The Job Hunting Podcast, I have developed a range of courses and services for professionals in career or job transition. And, of course, I also coach private clients.
So there is no excuse – I’m determined to help you! I want you to feel empowered, nail your next job, and have the career you want.
- Subscribe to the newsletter and access free tools to help you advance in your career.
- A free resource for job hunters: The Optimized Job Search Schedule.
- Learn more: www.renatabernarde.com.
- Book a time to discuss 1-1 coaching and achieve your goals faster
- Or please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please support The Job Hunting Podcast: Follow, subscribe, share, rate, and review:
Thank you so much again for listening to the episode. If you enjoyed the content, please leave us a review and give it a 5-star rating on your podcast platform of choice. A review is the best gift you can give to a podcaster; I'll be so happy you wouldn't believe it! Writing a review and giving it five stars helps the podcast reach more people like you who want guidance and support in job hunting and career advancement.
Enjoy the episode and ciao for now!
Renata Bernarde | Job Hunting Expert | Founder, Pantala Academy
Host: Renata Bernarde
Editing: Estella Dacuba
Music: Scott Holmes
Contact us: email@example.com
The Job Hunting Podcast is a podcast by Pantala Pty Ltd.
Pantala acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the Land we have recorded this podcast on, the Bunurong People. We pay our respects to their Elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures.