64. How to pivot your career during a crisis: Advice from ”the new world of work” expert Marianne Roux.
In 2020, we have talked about how the pandemic affects all areas of our lives, especially our work. Living and working from home, market disruption, and government interventions are now the new normal, at least until we control the outbreak and most likely up to the point where we have a wide distribution of an effective vaccine.
With that said, our world has changed. So, how is our new world of work going to look like? What challenges and opportunities will present us? In this episode, I spoke to Marianne Roux, who has over 25 years' experience as a New World of Work Strategist. Marianne helps leaders and HR executives understand how to adapt their organizations to the new world of work by training their leaders and teams and transforming their businesses. She is a regular keynote speaker, author, and business school lecturer and works pro-bono on developing women's entrepreneurial skills and alleviating poverty and trauma. Her work takes her to all corners of the Earth, including countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. She is highly regarded as an expert in her field. She is called upon to support large multinational organizations, governments, and non-profits in adjusting their business models, culture, and workforce to be more future-oriented and entrepreneurial.
Marianne helps us understand how to thrive during a crisis and how to pivot and develop our career to adjust to new working and living ways.
Key advice from Marianne to thrive under crisis - be it COVID-19 or any other you may encounter in the future:
- For a week or two, take time to get through the shock and the grief.
- Sort out an area at home to be your home office, and make it a friendly and happy place.
- Have a workday every day, give yourself a job title, continue learning, and continue to network and connect with others.
- Schedule activities in your day to help keep your spirits up, like exercising and volunteering.
- You are not on holiday: You're employing yourself into a job, and you've got to keep that mindset.
Marianne's foresight to help you plan for the next stages of your career:
- The new world of work will most definitely include all things digital: from data analytics and design thinking; there are many free courses and public content you can access, so use this opportunity to update your skills.
- If data is not your thing, focus on relationships: health care, aged care, and other sectors will require relationship management skills.
- Entrepreneurial skills are very important, especially in developing countries: use your youth and get them involved in your business idea. They understand digital and can help you build your success.
- Advice for career hunters in developed countries: There are opportunities in entrepreneurship, innovation, and how business and government work together. These are the areas that need much improvement.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- This Podcast's Private Facebook Group
- Marianne Roux's website
- New World of Work - Marianne's free training module
- Marianne Roux's LinkedIn Profile
- Download a transcript of this episode
Free Optimized Job Search Schedule and Workshop - Holiday Edition
You can download the Optimized Job Search Schedule for free: a workbook I designed especially for the Holiday Season. It includes three weekly routines you can choose from to continue your job search during December-January. The workbook has an extra page for you to design your personalized routine that suits your needs. Still, the beauty is I'm giving you all the tips and listing all the essential activities you need to include, and giving you the flexibility to choose your best routine, no matter much or how little time you have, your job search schedule will suit you to a tea!
- Download the free Optimized Job Search Schedule to help you build a successful routine.
- Watch my free workshop: The Optimized Job Search.
About your host:
Hello, I'm Renata Bernarde, the Host of The Job Hunting Podcast. I'm also an executive coach, job hunting expert, and career strategist. I teach corporate, non-profit, and public professionals the steps and frameworks to help them find great jobs, change, and advance their careers with confidence and less stress.
- Subscribe to the weekly newsletter.
- A free resource for job hunters: The Optimized Job Search Schedule.
- Learn more about my career services: www.renatabernarde.com.
- Book a time to discuss 1-1 coaching and achieve your goals faster
- Or please email me at email@example.com.
Host: Renata Bernarde
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Job Hunting Podcast is a podcast by Pantala Pty Ltd.
Pantala acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the Land we have recorded this podcast on, the Bunurong people. We pay our respects to their Elder's past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures.