For Paul Burrows, our guest today, the goal was to become financially independent and having the ability to make choices about where and when we wanted to retire or how much he and his wife wanted to work. Paul is now financially independent, and a few years ago, he decided it was time to retire. He has been a great mentor to other professionals. He takes a keen interest in career development, so I believe he is an excellent fit for this podcast, both with his career experience and knowledge and by having the right mindset of giving back and helping others achieve their best.
Here are some key take-ways from the interview with Paul:
1 - Redundancy experience:
- Outplacement services only work to a certain point, but you need to be proactive and do the work yourself.
- Be informed about what is going on in the corporate world: Paul reads the Australian Financial Review every day. Doing so during redundancy made him strategically choose his next steps.
- Paul's goal was not to waste his redundancy: I believe he meant both the financial package and the opportunity to Reset His Career!
2 - Career Transition
- If investing in education, do so for certifications and studies that are an absolute requirement for your career transition: Paul studied to become a Financial Planner, so in his case, the training was a requirement.
- Understand the difference in status you will experience by shifting careers and sectors and being ok with it: It's a humbling experience.
- Leverage from your previous career's strengths, your original DNA, to help you springboard and move faster in your new career. Once he gained initial experience as a Financial Planner in Paul's case, his business background got him higher-paying jobs.
3 - Retirement:
- Test the waters before exiting the job market by doing contract roles and consulting.
- Understand your personal needs: If you are like Paul's wife and the social interaction and work still brings you joy, financial independence gives you a choice to also continue working, if you wish to!
4 - Financial independence**:
- Financial independence gives you a choice.
- Reward yourself by saving, not spending.
- It's never too late to start planning.
- Set financial goals.
- Understand that there will be sacrifices and that it can be tedious.
- Wealth is not income – wealth is assets.
- Paul's heroes have been professionals that, with average incomes, were able to achieve financial independence.
I hope you enjoyed this episode; lookout for another great one coming up next week!
**The information in this podcast is general and does not take into account your personal circumstances, financial needs, and objectives. Before acting on any information, you should consider if it is appropriate to you, and in particular, you should seek independent financial advice.
Free Optimized Job Search Schedule and Workshop - Holiday Edition
You can download the Optimized Job Search Schedule for free: a workbook I designed especially for the Holiday Season. It includes three weekly routines you can choose from to continue your job search during December-January. The workbook has an extra page for you to design your personalized routine that suits your needs. Still, the beauty is I'm giving you all the tips and listing all the essential activities you need to include, and giving you the flexibility to choose your best routine, no matter much or how little time you have, your job search schedule will suit you to a tea!
- Download the free Optimized Job Search Schedule to help you build a successful routine.
- Watch my free workshop: The Optimized Job Search.
Free tools & where to listen to The Job Hunting Podcast:
- Subscribe to the newsletter and access free tools to help you advance in your career.
- Where to listen/subscribe/follow to The Job Hunting Podcast.
- My website.
- Download a transcript of this episode
About your host:
Hello, I'm Renata Bernarde, the Host of The Job Hunting Podcast. I'm also an executive coach, job hunting expert, and career strategist. I teach corporate, non-profit, and public professionals the steps and frameworks to help them find great jobs, change, and advance their careers with confidence and less stress.
- Subscribe to the weekly newsletter.
- A free resource for job hunters: The Optimized Job Search Schedule.
- Learn more about my career services: www.renatabernarde.com.
- Book a time to discuss 1-1 coaching and achieve your goals faster
- Or please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Host: Renata Bernarde
Contact us: email@example.com
The Job Hunting Podcast is a podcast by Pantala Pty Ltd.
Pantala acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the Land we have recorded this podcast on, the Bunurong people. We pay our respects to their Elder's past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures.