58. Career Q&A: Returning from maternity leave, expected salary range, planning your next move, and much more
In this episode, I’ll answer the most interesting questions I received since recording the last Career Q&A episode (episode 51). Thank you to everyone who has sent me questions by messaging me on social media, emails, or asking them when I’m invited to speak or present at webinars. It’s very important to me to receive these questions and know what issues are on your mind. This way, I can address them via the Q&A episodes and develop future episodes dedicated to the most common concerns you have.
- 03:11 - Salary range: I’m often asked to nominate an expected salary in online applications, and it’s a mandatory question! Any tips for answering?
- 06:47 - No promotion: I am doing my job very well, and management likes to keep me where I am. I am stuck in the same position for the last ten years. Does it look like I am missing a strategy on how to communicate with top management?
- 10:02 - Contract to permanent: I’m in a part-time contract role. My director wants my role to be permanent. It needs to be reviewed by the CEO for approval. I’m not sure how I would continue if it were refused.
- 14:54 - Moving from small to big company: What advice would you give someone who wants to move from a small company to a top tier company? It seems like the big four consulting firms only look for people who worked for the big four.
- 18:56 - Starting a new role: I recently started a new role. Should I plan for my next move now?
- 22:45 - Maternity leave: I have just returned from maternity leave and feel like I no longer enjoy my current role. What advice would you give in helping me find a new role?
- 27:00 - Help with LinkedIn and resume: Can you advise me on how to do a better resume and LinkedIn? And can I send you my resume?
- 31:12 - Job search during the holidays: What is your advice regarding the holiday season and job hunting? Is there any point in job hunting in December and early January?
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Do you want to hear an episode with previous questions? 51. Job Hunting Q&A
- A program that can help you get ready for a career and job transition: Reset Your Career Workshop & Action Plan
- My 30-minute free call for listeners interested to consider coaching
- Linkedin Audit service
- Download the free LinkedIn Checklist
- The Job Hunting Podcast Episodes about LinkedIn:
- The Job Hunting Podcast 57. How to job search during the holidays: Three options, depending on your availability
- Download the free Optimized Job Search Schedule to help you job search during the holidays
- Register for the free Optimized Job Search 2-Part Workshop - Holiday Issue
- Transcript of this episode
Your Invitation to Attend The Optimized Job Search 2-Part Workshop - Holiday Version
In this 2-part workshop, I will provide extra detail, tips, and advice on implementing a winning formula to get a new job faster by maintaining a job search routine over the holidays. I developed my thesis and gave a broad brush on this podcast, which will already be very helpful. But if you are serious about your job search and need to find a new job fast, I recommend that you register. Ideally, you would want to attend the training live to ask questions and interact with me. But even if the dates and times don't suit you, registering you at least guarantees to get the recordings of the live training sessions. The two sessions are happening from 11 am to 12 pm Melbourne time (AEDT) on the 2nd and 3rd of December 2020.
About your host:
Hello, I'm Renata Bernarde, the Host of The Job Hunting Podcast. I'm also an executive coach, job hunting expert, and career strategist. I teach corporate, non-profit, and public professionals the steps and frameworks to help them find great jobs, change, and advance their careers with confidence and less stress.
- Subscribe to the weekly newsletter.
- A free resource for job hunters: The Optimized Job Search Schedule.
- Learn more about my career services: www.renatabernarde.com.
- Book a time to discuss 1-1 coaching and achieve your goals faster
- Or please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Host: Renata Bernarde
Contact us: email@example.com
The Job Hunting Podcast is a podcast by Pantala Pty Ltd.
Pantala acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the Land we have recorded this podcast on, the Bunurong people. We pay our respects to their Elder's past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures.