58. Career Q&A: Returning from maternity leave, expected salary range, planning your next move, and much more
In this episode, I’ll answer the most interesting questions I received since recording the last Career Q&A episode (episode 51). Thank you to everyone who has sent me questions by messaging me on social media, emails, or asking them when I’m invited to speak or present at webinars. It’s very important to me to receive these questions and know what issues are on your mind. This way, I can address them via the Q&A episodes and develop future episodes dedicated to the most common concerns you have.
- 03:11 - Salary range: I’m often asked to nominate an expected salary in online applications, and it’s a mandatory question! Any tips for answering?
- 06:47 - No promotion: I am doing my job very well, and management likes to keep me where I am. I am stuck in the same position for the last ten years. Does it look like I am missing a strategy on how to communicate with top management?
- 10:02 - Contract to permanent: I’m in a part-time contract role. My director wants my role to be permanent. It needs to be reviewed by the CEO for approval. I’m not sure how I would continue if it were refused.
- 14:54 - Moving from small to big company: What advice would you give someone who wants to move from a small company to a top tier company? It seems like the big four consulting firms only look for people who worked for the big four.
- 18:56 - Starting a new role: I recently started a new role. Should I plan for my next move now?
- 22:45 - Maternity leave: I have just returned from maternity leave and feel like I no longer enjoy my current role. What advice would you give in helping me find a new role?
- 27:00 - Help with LinkedIn and resume: Can you advise me on how to do a better resume and LinkedIn? And can I send you my resume?
- 31:12 - Job search during the holidays: What is your advice regarding the holiday season and job hunting? Is there any point in job hunting in December and early January?
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Do you want to hear an episode with previous questions? 51. Job Hunting Q&A
- A program that can help you get ready for a career and job transition: Reset Your Career Workshop & Action Plan
- My 30-minute free call for listeners interested to consider coaching
- Linkedin Audit service
- Download the free LinkedIn Checklist
- The Job Hunting Podcast Episodes about LinkedIn:
- The Job Hunting Podcast 57. How to job search during the holidays: Three options, depending on your availability
- Download the free Optimized Job Search Schedule to help you job search during the holidays
- Register for the free Optimized Job Search 2-Part Workshop - Holiday Issue
- Transcript of this episode
Your Invitation to Attend The Optimized Job Search 2-Part Workshop - Holiday Version
In this 2-part workshop, I will provide extra detail, tips, and advice on implementing a winning formula to get a new job faster by maintaining a job search routine over the holidays. I developed my thesis and gave a broad brush on this podcast, which will already be very helpful. But if you are serious about your job search and need to find a new job fast, I recommend that you register. Ideally, you would want to attend the training live to ask questions and interact with me. But even if the dates and times don't suit you, registering you at least guarantees to get the recordings of the live training sessions. The two sessions are happening from 11 am to 12 pm Melbourne time (AEDT) on the 2nd and 3rd of December 2020.
About your host:
Hello, and welcome! I’m Renata Bernarde, the Host of The Job Hunting Podcast. I’m also a virtual career coach, job hunting expert, and career strategist. I teach professionals in the corporate, non-profit, and public sectors the steps and frameworks to help them find great jobs, change, and advance their careers with confidence and less stress.
If you are 1) an ambitious professional who is keen to develop a robust career plan, 2) looking to find your next job or promotion, or 3) you want to keep a finger on the pulse of the job market so that when you ready and an opportunity arises, you can hit the ground running – then this podcast is for you.
In addition to The Job Hunting Podcast, I've created a series of free tools and resources. I developed a range of services for professionals in career or job transition. And, of course, I also coach private clients. So there is no excuse – I’m determined to help you! I want you to feel empowered, nail your next job, and have the career you want.
Free tools & where to listen to The Job Hunting Podcast:
- My website
- Subscribe to the newsletter and access free tools to help you advance in your career
- Where to listen/subscribe/follow to The Job Hunting Podcast.
Please support this podcast: Follow, subscribe, rate, and review:
Please consider rating and reviewing my show. When you write a review and give it five stars, it helps the podcast reach more people like you who want guidance and support in job hunting and career advancement! Click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate with five stars, and select "Write a review." Then let me know in a few words what you think about the show and how it has helped you. And you haven't already, don't forget to subscribe!
Enjoy the episode and ciao for now
Renata Bernarde | Virtual Coach | Career Management Strategist | Job Hunting Expert
Founder & Chief Coach, Pantala Academy
Managing Director, Pantala Pty Ltd
Level 14, 333 Collins Street, Melbourne Victoria 3000 Australia