09:00 – Zoom dynamics and etiquette
27:21 – Marion’s career
37:58 – The pre-requisites to be considered for a non-executive board position
41:09 – Misconceptions about the role of board directors
44:12 – How to begin your career as a board director
47:26 – Government boards
49:35 – Board director job applications
59:52 – Networking
01:00 – Final words
About our guest, Marion Macleod, FAICD:
Marion Macleod is a non-executive director with over 25 years’ board experience. Coming from a STEMM background she has had creative, corporate, and business careers – and sees herself as someone who brings a number of perspectives to the table. She brings a reflective diversity of thinking that supports the strategic consideration of risk-managed opportunities. An avid interest in current affairs also provides a deep understanding of the current perspective.
She has expertise in strategy setting, audit, finance, business commercialization, IT, change transformation, risk, and governance. Her experience extends across a range of industries including, banking, telecommunications, technology, education, government, agriculture, the health sector, and logistics.
Her current board roles include Fenwick Pty.Ltd., Homeward Bound, and President of Rotary Melbourne in its Centenary year 2020-21. Recent past board positions include; VFF; V/Line; Metlink; Mecwacare, and the CAE. She was also a council member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD) for eight years. Marion has also been recognized by Rotary Melbourne with a Paul Harris Fellow and the Royce Abbey award.
Marion previously held significant senior executive roles in complex transformational environments, in particular in; telecommunications, television, and logistics. She saw the emergence of mobile technology in Australia and headed up Telstra Mobiles’ Marketing Operations and then their Strategy and Business Planning in Customer management with oversight of a budget of $300 million. Prior to that, she was a director in Television.
Marion is now principal at consultancy Core Management Solutions (CMS) and has sector experience in private, public, and not-for-profit. She built and delivered, to senior NAB executives, the award-winning program, ‘The Effective Director’, and initiated the ‘Boards of Tomorrow’ series with KPMG. She facilitates the Australian Institute of Company Directors’ core Company Directors Course in Strategy, Risk, and Decision-making, as well as a number of their other courses.
Marion is a Williamson Fellow and graduate of Leadership Victoria. She has been a Commissioner in Local Government and a Councillor, is cofounder of an emerging start-up edu-tech business, and founder of the Australian Governance Academy.
With a foundation degree in science, she also holds a number of business and financial qualifications including an MBA from Melbourne Business School, post-graduate qualifications in finance, media, and project management, and is a Fellow of the AICD.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Alan Robert Kohler AM is an Australian financial journalist and newspaper editor You can follow him on Twitter here: @AlanKohler
- Renata’s online course: Job Hunting Made Simple
- Interview with Michelle Redfern: The Job Hunting Podcast Episode 37. The missing 33%: The CEO confidant improving diversity and inclusion in corporate Australia.
- Interview with Associate Professor Catherine Ball: The Job Hunting Podcast Episode48. Emerging jobs and technologies - with Associate Professor Catherine Ball.
- Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Marion's new course coming up in early 2021: Australian Governance Academy
- Download a transcript of this episode
About your host:
Hello, I'm Renata Bernarde, the Host of The Job Hunting Podcast. I'm also an executive coach, job hunting expert, and career strategist. I teach corporate, non-profit, and public professionals the steps and frameworks to help them find great jobs, change, and advance their careers with confidence and less stress.
- Subscribe to the weekly newsletter.
- A free resource for job hunters: The Optimized Job Search Schedule.
- Learn more about my career services: www.renatabernarde.com.
- Book a time to discuss 1-1 coaching and achieve your goals faster
- Or please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Host: Renata Bernarde
Contact us: email@example.com
The Job Hunting Podcast is a podcast by Pantala Pty Ltd.
Pantala acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the Land we have recorded this podcast on, the Bunurong people. We pay our respects to their Elder's past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures.