Hello and welcome! I’m Renata Bernarde, the Host of The Job Hunting Podcast. I’m also a virtual career coach, job hunting expert, and career strategist. I teach professionals in the corporate, non-profit, and public sectors the steps and frameworks to help them find great jobs, change, and advance their careers with confidence and less stress.
If you are 1) an ambitious professional who is keen to develop a robust career plan, 2) looking to find your next job or promotion, or 3) you want to keep a finger on the pulse of the job market so that when you ready and an opportunity arises, you can hit the ground running – then this podcast is for you.
In addition to The Job Hunting Podcast, I've created a series of free tools and resources, I run free live career coaching sessions, the Job Hunting Made Simple online course, and I coach private clients. So there is really no excuse – I’m determined to help you! I want you to feel empowered, nail your next job, and have the career you want.
Episode Show Notes
Susan Colantuono's TED Talk "The career advice you probably didn't get" has over 4 million views and has recently been included as one of the top 10 TEDTalks for career moves by The Enterprise Project. TED has also included it in a special playlist for women's career development. It has been a favorite of mine for years, and I often recommend it to my coaching clients. So it was a huge honor to have Susan as my guest for this episode, which we recorded live in August 2020 during the 2020 Digital Innovation Forum, organized by the Department of Jobs, Precinct, and Regions of the State of Victoria.
I was so grateful that, in preparation for the recording this episode, I had the opportunity to read her book, No Ceiling, No Walls, which I now recommend to my clients as well.
This episode is dedicated to a better understanding of the relationship between leadership skills and career progression. Susan and I go through a lot of interesting discussions about leadership and its link to career development and advancement. This synergy and connection are so important for my ambitious clients: those who not only want to look for a new job opportunity but also want that opportunity to stretch their skills and experience further.
Timestamps to guide your listening:
- 09:50 – Susan’s career story
- 16:00 – How she chose her preferred area of expertise
- 17:59 – The idea behind her famous TEDTalk: The ‘missing 33%’
- 21:51 – Feedbacks and pushbacks
- 25:23 – What has changed since her book No Ceiling, No Walls was written 10 years.
- 30:19 – Superwomen and infrastructure
- 34:09 – Tools and resources to move forward in your career
- 37:32 – Be careful what you’re good at
- 40:27 – Employee perspective and manager perspective
- 42:26 – Hiring you is an investment
- 46:26 – Participant's question: Going through a promotion in the higher-education/public sector
- 50:41 – Participant's question: Insights on diversity and inclusion
Resources and Services Mentioned in This Episode:
- Susan’s Ted Talk: The career advice you probably didn't get
- The Job Hunting Podcast Episode 37 with Michelle Redfern: The missing 33%: The CEO confidant improving diversity and inclusion in corporate Australia.
- Susan Colantuono's book: No Ceilings No Walls
- Women's leadership community: A Career That Soars!
- Download a transcript of this episode
Free tools & were to listen to The Job Hunting Podcast:
- My website
- Subscribe to the newsletter and access free tools to help you advance in your career
- Where to listen/subscribe/follow to The Job Hunting Podcast
Work with me! Find out more and book my career services:
- Book a consultation with me: single session and/or coaching program
- Book a LinkedIn Audit
- Register your interest for the next intake: The Job Hunting Made Simple
Rate & Review on Apple Podcast:
Please consider rating and reviewing my show. This helps me reach more people just like you who want guidance and support in job hunting and career advancement! Click here, scroll all the way to the bottom, tap to rate with 5 stars, and select "Write a review". Then let me know in a few words what you think about the show and how it has helped you. And you have haven't already, don't forget to subscribe!
Enjoy the episode, and don't forget to subscribe and follow this Podcast!
Ciao for now!
Renata Bernarde | Virtual Coach | Career Management Strategist | Job Hunting Expert
Host, The Job Hunting Podcast
Founder & Chief Coach, Pantala Academy
Managing Director, Pantala Pty Ltd
Level 14, 333 Collins Street, Melbourne Victoria 3000 Australia