The podcast with Expert Insights for Navigating the Modern Job Market. Hi, my name is Renata Bernarde. In 2018, I left my job to help others get their careers on track. My love for coaching started at a very young age. Over time, I realized that many professionals don’t know how recruitment & selection work, which negatively impacts their career progression. Today I host The Job Hunting Podcast and I also have a series of career services for corporate professionals. My signature coaching program is called Job Hunting Made Simple, a roadmap teaching professionals the steps and framework to make career advancement simpler and less stressful. Please subscribe, leave me a rating, write a review, and let the people you care about know about this podcast. You can also learn more about me and my coaching services on www.renatabernarde.com Do you want me to be a guest on your podcast? Speak at your event? Coach you? Reach out via email at email@example.com, and let’s make it happen!
Monday Aug 10, 2020
Monday Aug 10, 2020
Who would have thought that 2020 would be the year of data charts? That we would be glued to the daily news like never before, anxiously waiting to see more and more charts, expecting data analysts to tell us which way curves, bars, and pie charts are progressing? Be it for the number of patients with COVID-19, unemployment numbers, political and consumer sentiment, stock markets... this year has been filled with data analysis, and we are all paying close attention.
Have you ever wondered what a data professional job looks like? Why did Forbes report that data jobs are the sexiest jobs in the 21st century? And how can non-data professionals either upskill, re-skill, or learn to collaborate with data professionals?
If you are interested to find out more, you are in luck! My guest for this week's episode is a data strategist and machine learning expert. Catherine Lopes is the Head of Data Strategy and Analytics at ME Bank in Australia and the co-founder of three startups. A business-focused data scientist and passionate educator, Catherine helps organizations increase their business performance by applying advanced analytics and improving enterprise data management. She has worked internationally across a wide range of sectors with specialties in machine learning and analytics transformation.
Listen to our discussion to gain insight into the world of data science, artificial intelligence, and ethics. Learn how you can get started in data professions, data projects, or work alongside data scientists. You'll have a rare opportunity to learn from a data expert who is also passionate about her profession and in helping other data scientists thrive.
Remember you can always reach out to me if it’s time to start investing in your career progression. Check my website - there’s a link below - and find out more about my services, as well as free resources I have created just for you.
I hope you enjoy this chat with Catherine Lopez.
Timestamps to guide your listening:
- 07.31 - Catherine's career journey
- 10.58 - How to know where and when to spend energy in your career for career advancement?
- 15.48 - What is data science? Catherine explains her expertise and how important it is post-COVID.
- 17.51 - How corporate work is potentially going to change in the next 3 to 5 years, and how to adjust your skills.
- 22.10 - How can professionals in humanities help data science and AI?
- 27.53 - Data Science and ethics.
- 30.22 - Issues of data-driven problems such as bots and RPA replacing everyone's jobs.
- 36.20 - Is there still time for a mid-career professional to make a shift to data science?
- 38.31 - Professions that can easily transition to data science.
- 43.04 - Catherine the mentor and her LinkedIn activity.
- 45.42 - Catherine turns data on its own professionals: comparing data professions by gender, age, and other factors.
- 52.50 - Catherine's list of questions to ask employers.
- 56.03 - How is working from home for data scientists, and is it sustainable?
- 57.10 - Tips and advice for people looking for work.
- Lean in videos of Catherine’s presentation on Personal Branding
- Lean in Melbourne of Renata’s presentation on Confidence
- Catherine’s article about job questions data professionals should ask at job interviews
- Catherine’s LinkedIn: follow her and look out for her charts about data science profession
- Ada’s Tribe meetup
- Ada’s Tribe LinkedIn Page
- Catherine posts about books to read about data
- Renata’s additional books to better understand data: The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, What Is This Thing Called Science by Alan Chalmers and Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World--and Why Things Are Better Than You Think by Anna Rosling Rönnlund, Hans Rosling, and Ola Rosling.
Download a transcript of this episode
About your host:
Hello, I'm Renata Bernarde, the Host of The Job Hunting Podcast. I'm also an executive coach, job hunting expert, and career strategist. I teach corporate, non-profit, and public professionals the steps and frameworks to help them find great jobs, change, and advance their careers with confidence and less stress.
- Subscribe to the weekly newsletter.
- A free resource for job hunters: The Optimized Job Search Schedule.
- Learn more about my career services: www.renatabernarde.com.
- Book a time to discuss 1-1 coaching and achieve your goals faster
- Or please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Host: Renata Bernarde
Contact us: email@example.com
The Job Hunting Podcast is a podcast by Pantala Pty Ltd.
Pantala acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the Land we have recorded this podcast on, the Bunurong people. We pay our respects to their Elder's past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures.