37. The missing 33%: The CEO confidant improving diversity and inclusion in corporate Australia - with Michelle Redfern
Hello and welcome! I’m Renata Bernarde, the Host of The Job Hunting Podcast. I’m also a virtual career coach, job hunting expert, and career strategist. I teach professionals in the corporate, non-profit, and public sectors the steps and frameworks to help them find great jobs, change, and advance their careers with confidence and less stress.
If you are an ambitious professional who is keen to develop a robust career plan, above and beyond this COVID-19 situation, who is looking to find your next job or promotion, or you want to keep a finger on the pulse of the job market, so that when you ready and an opportunity arises, you can hit the ground running – then this podcast is for you.
In addition to The Job Hunting Podcast, I have created a series of free tools and resources, I run weekly free live career coaching sessions, the Job Hunting Made Simple online course, and the coaching I do to my private clients. So there is really no excuse – I’m determined to help you! I want you to feel empowered, nail your next job, and have the career you want.
Episode Show Notes
Before I met Michelle Redfern, I had heard a lot about her from my friend and colleague Div Pillay, the Co-Founder of MindTribes, a diversity and inclusion consultancy. At MindTribes I’m the head of market strategy and Michelle is Div’s partner in MindTribes’ nonprofit arm, CDW (Culturally Diverse Women and Workforce). Although we are both involved, we work on different projects and our paths don’t cross very often. Div always has wonderful things to say about Michelle, so I always wanted to know her better. Michelle is an in-demand speaker and a regular contributor to the discussion about equality and inclusion in sport and business. So it was with great pleasure and gratitude that I got to know her better during this interview for The Job Hunting Podcast.
Michelle is the founder of Advancing Women in Business & Sport, an enterprise providing research and advisory services on equality, inclusion, and gender diversity. She works closely with some of the most influential CEOs and leaders in the country, supporting their organization's design and implement diversity and inclusion strategies that work.
Michelle is determined to contribute to achieving global gender equality in her lifetime, especially through her research and advocacy in the sporting industry. Her most recent venture, A Career that Soars! Is a private networking platform for corporate women to connect, learn from each other, and invest in their professional development.
So what did we talk about? She has a finger in so many pies and I was so curious we had a very long chat. We discussed:
Timestamps to guide your listening:
- 7:18 - Her diverse and rich career trajectory, from leaving school at 15 to having great executive roles and mentors along the way 12:30 - Mohit’s graduation day and the advice that almost took him back to India
- 14:29 - Her “Aha” moment: how in her 40s she learned a lot about herself and made an important career transition
- 20:36 - How she influences corporate Australia to stop the exodus of professional women from the workforce
- 31:14 - Her love for sports and aspirational goals for women in the sporting industry and on the field
- 43:36 - Career advice for women: the missing 33% of career advice women are not getting to help them advance professionally.
- 51:57 - Why is it so hard to coach professional women?! Why are women so reluctant to invest in their careers?
And if you receive my newsletter, this week’s curated articles include 3 of Michelle’s best blogs, they are amazing reads. I also added some great research additional articles which I think complement this week’s episode on diversity and inclusion and female career advancement.
Remember you can always reach out to me if it’s time to start investing in your career progression. Check my website - there’s a link in the episode show notes, and find out more about my services, as well as free resources I have created just for you.
But for now, here’s my chat with Michelle - I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.
- Subscribe to receive Renata’s newsletter
- Susan Colatuono’s TED Talk: The Career advice you probably didn’t get.
- A Career that Soars! Michelle and Susan’s online network for women leaders
- Book recommendation: Why nice girls don’t get the corner office
- Book recommendation: No ceilings no walls
- Book about Jacinda Ardern
- Book About Ford’s female CEO
Michelle’s social media handles
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/michelleredfern
- Twitter: @redfernmichelle
- Facebook: @AdvancingWomeninBizandSport
- Instagram: @advancewithmichelle
Important links on how to connect with me:
- My website
- Join the Reset Your Career and subscribe to the newsletter
- Where to listen/subscribe/follow to The Job Hunting Podcast
- Where to watch the live career coaching sessions
I'd love it if you could give this Podcast a 5-star review:
I hope you learned a lot today in making job hunting better for you. Don’t forget to follow this podcast and leave a 5-star rating and ranking on iTunes. It helps so much! With your help, this podcast can reach others who need career support. The way to do that is to give it a 5-star rating and review, so that iTunes knows it's a good podcast to recommend to others. Please scroll to the bottom of this link, tap to rate with five stars, and select “Write a Review”
Download a transcript of this episode:
Book a Linkedin audit or a consultation with me. Find out more about my services:
Enjoy the episode and ciao for now!