157 - Behavioral interview question: Why they don’t always work and what to do about it - With Lou Adler.
Lou and I discuss several recruitment topics, including the best and worst job interview questions, the best way to answer them, and recruitment technology. We provide many good examples of best practices that we hope can help you prepare for future job interviews.
About our guest:
Lou Adler is the CEO and founder of Performance-based Hiring Learning Systems – a consulting and training firm helping recruiters and hiring managers around the world source, interview, and engage the most robust and diverse talent. Lou is the author of the Amazon top-10 best-seller, Hire With Your Head (John Wiley & Sons, 4th Edition, 2021), The Essential Guide for Hiring & Getting Hired (Workbench Media, 2013), and LinkedIn Learning's Performance-based Hiring video training program (2016). The latest Edition of Hire With Your Head describes how to implement Performance-based Hiring to build outstanding diverse teams. Adler is one of the top bloggers on LinkedIn's Influencer program writing about the latest trends in hiring, employment, and recruiting. His articles, quotes, and research can now be found in Inc. Magazine, Business Insider, Bloomberg, SHRM, and The Wall Street Journal. The company's mobile-ready Win-Win Hiring learning platform provides instant access to all the tools needed to find and hire outstanding talent.
- 4:05 - What led Lou Adler to work in the recruitment industry?
- 8:57 - Mistakes in an interview process
- 17:52 - Biased interview questions
- 23:30 - Changing jobs: before the pandemic and now
- 29:29 - Lou's view on today's recruitment technology
- 34:42 - Lou's Win-win hiring system
- 38:13 - Switching jobs for a higher pay
- 39:41 - Red flags during the recruitment process
- 42:55 - Deadly sins of recruitment
- 50:33 - Lou Adler's view on passive job search
- 53:07 - Lou Adler's secret: How to have longevity and recognized expertise throughout your career
- 57:46 - Lou Adler's final advice to job hunters
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Interview with Nick Birbilis: 99. Attracting and hiring top talent - with Nick Birbilis.
- Lou Adler's book, Hire With Your Head: Using Performance-Based Hiring to Build Outstanding Diverse Teams.
- Lou Adler's article: Don't Change Jobs Unless You Get a 30 Percent Increase.
Other ways to enjoy this podcast:
About your host:
Hello, I'm Renata Bernarde, the Host of The Job Hunting Podcast. I'm also an executive coach, job hunting expert, and career strategist. I teach corporate, non-profit, and public professionals the steps and frameworks to help them find great jobs, change, and advance their careers with confidence and less stress.
- Subscribe to the weekly newsletter.
- A free resource for job hunters: The Optimized Job Search Schedule.
- Learn more about my career services: www.renatabernarde.com.
- Book a time to discuss 1-1 coaching and achieve your goals faster
- Or please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Host: Renata Bernarde
Editing: Camille Cariño
Music: Scott Holmes
Contact us: email@example.com
The Job Hunting Podcast is a podcast by Pantala Pty Ltd.
Pantala acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the Land we have recorded this podcast on, the Bunurong people. We pay our respects to their Elder's past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures.