105. Understanding the role of chairperson: Part 2 interview with Moana Weir, Chair of the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission.
Subscribe to Renata's weekly newsletter for exclusive content for corporate professionals and new episodes of the Job Hunting Podcast.
About our guest, Moana Weir:
Moana has over 20 years of Executive experience, leading strategic business and cultural transformation: in the healthcare and health insurance industry with Bupa, including as Acting MD for the Bupa Dental business, and as Acting Corporate Affairs Director. Prior to this, she had Executive experience in listed, international online companies at SEEK (seek.com.au), REA (realestate.com.au), and Melbourne IT leading areas including Legal, Governance, and Company Secretarial, Regulatory, Risk, Corporate Affairs and Sustainability.
Moana also has deep experience for over 10 years as a Non-Executive Director in the not-for-profit Government and community sector. She is currently Chair of the Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission Victoria (VEOHRC), and a member of the People and Culture Committee at Movember, the leading charity changing the face of men’s health globally. She has also previously been a director on the Board of VLine and a director of the Melbourne Montessori School Board. To learn more, check Moana Weir's LinkedIn Profile.
- 04:16 - Director vs Chair
- 06:49 - Succession planning
- 07:38 - Setting up the board agenda
- 10:00 - Chair and CEO relationship
- 11:18 - On being the chair of the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission
- 14:43 - Representation and lived experience at the board level
- 16:57 - The pandemic's impact on equal opportunity and human rights
- 20:13 - Key issues in equal opportunity and human rights
- 22:01 - Ageism in the workforce is real
- 26:58 - Dealing with trauma, bad behavior, and bullying
- 31:14 - Moana's future career plans
- 33:11 - Final advice from Moana Weir
Links mentioned in this episode:
- The Job Hunting Podcast episode 98. Why are we still not seeing more women in senior roles? - with Carly Moulang and Alessandro Ghio
- The Job Hunting Podcast episode 96. Recruitment and selection without resumes - with Dina Bayasanova Ph.D
- Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know about the People We Don't Know, book by Malcolm Gladwell
- Working With Monsters: How to Identify and Protect Yourself from the Workplace Psychopath by John Clarke
- The No Asshole Rule: Building a Civilised Workplace and Surviving One That Isn't, by Robert Sutton
Other ways to enjoy this podcast:
Are you new to The Job Hunting Podcast? If so, here is a bit about your host:
Hello, I’m Renata Bernarde, the Host of The Job Hunting Podcast. I’m also an executive coach, job hunting expert, and career strategist. I teach corporate, non-profit, and public professionals the steps and frameworks to help them find great jobs, change, and advance their careers with confidence and less stress.
If you are 1) an ambitious professional who is keen to develop a robust career plan, 2) looking to find your next job or promotion, or 3) you want to keep a finger on the pulse of the job market so that when you are ready, and an opportunity arises, you can hit the ground running – then this podcast is for you. In addition to The Job Hunting Podcast, I have developed a range of courses and services for professionals in career or job transition. And, of course, I also coach private clients.
So there is no excuse – I’m determined to help you! I want you to feel empowered, nail your next job, and have the career you want.
- Subscribe to the newsletter and access free tools to help you advance in your career.
- A free resource for job hunters: The Optimized Job Search Schedule.
- Learn more: www.renatabernarde.com.
- Book a time to discuss 1-1 coaching and achieve your goals faster
- Or please email me at email@example.com.
Please support The Job Hunting Podcast: Follow, subscribe, share, rate, and review:
Thank you so much again for listening to the episode. If you enjoyed the content, please leave us a review and give it a 5-star rating on your podcast platform of choice. A review is the best gift you can give to a podcaster; I'll be so happy you wouldn't believe it! Writing a review and giving it five stars helps the podcast reach more people like you who want guidance and support in job hunting and career advancement.
Enjoy the episode and ciao for now!
Renata Bernarde | Job Hunting Expert | Founder, Pantala Academy
Host: Renata Bernarde
Editing: Estella Dacuba
Music: Scott Holmes
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Job Hunting Podcast is a podcast by Pantala Pty Ltd.
Pantala acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the Land we have recorded this podcast on, the Bunurong People. We pay our respects to their Elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures.